On Sunday, June 14, three Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi were installed as the 2015-2019 administrative team for the congregation. Sr. Diana De Bruin, OSF, is the new director, and associate directors are Sr. Marcia Lunz, OSF, and Sr. Sylvia Anne Sheldon, OSF. The three were selected in April at the Chapter of Elections, the congregation’s highest governing body, which meets every four years in Milwaukee. The installation took place at a special Liturgy in St. Francis Chapel at the congregation’s Motherhouse on South Lake Drive.
Sr. Diana De Bruin, who joined the congregation in 1994, is a native of Kaukauna, Wisconsin. She has been an associate director since 2007. Previously, she had ministered as a teacher, pastoral associate, and director of adult formation in Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio, as well as a housing specialist and home buying counselor at The Dominican Center for Women in the inner city of Milwaukee, Wis. She holds a bachelor’s degree in elementary education and a master’s degree in religious education, and attended UW-Milwaukee in its urban studies program.
Sr. Marcia Lunz, who is from Milwaukee, entered the congregation in 1957 and began her ministry as a teacher in 1960. In addition to bachelor’s and master’s degrees in music, she also studied music at the Orff Institute in Salzburg, Austria. In 1993, she joined the faculty of Cardinal Stritch University, teaching music, linguistics and English as a Second Language, having studied ESL at UW-Milwaukee. From 1996 to 1999, she chaired the music department at Stritch. Previously, she has also served as an associate director of the congregation, 1983 to 1991, and as director, 1999 to 2007. Since 2008, she has been the writer for the congregation’s fund development publications.
Sr. Sylvia Anne Sheldon, a native of Waukegan, Illinois, joined the congregation in 1991. She holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in business administration from Cardinal Stitch University. Prior to her election to the administrative team, she ministered in administrative and financial services for two Milwaukee-area parishes, and as the director of technology services for Stritch.
In 1849, the Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi was the first foundation of vowed Franciscan women to be established in the United States. The congregation Motherhouse is located on the shores of Lake Michigan at 3221 South Lake Drive in the City of St. Francis. The sisters sponsor 10 corporate ministries which are located in Wisconsin, Illinois, Maryland and Massachusetts.